Wednesday, December 12, 2012

ILCS and WIP




I have loved cross stitch ever since the 8th grade.  I used to do a lot more of it but right now it is a little more difficult since I have three children.  They are all at ages when they are very active and want to go here or there and I am a mom who REALLY loves just sitting in the same room as them.  I'm sure all of you moms can relate when I say that even if we don't say much, there is just something about being with them that is so special.  I cherish each and every moment.

Anyway, back in either 2004 or 2006 I decided to join an online cross stitch group in hopes of having some "motivation" to allow myself some "me time" to do whatever I want to every so often.  What I really wanted to do was to use my cross stitch skills to make beautiful things for others.  So, I did a search and came across ILCS (I Love Cross Stitch).  It is a Yahoo group and I've had so much fun being a part of it.  There have been spurts here and there during which I hadn't gone to the message board during the time I was in school, but I'm back and am having so much fun reading the posts, looking at the pictures of everyone's WIPs, UFOs, finished pieces, etc.  I encourage anyone who isn't part of a group to join.  It is free to join.  All you need to do is create a Yahoo account or use your yahoo email account to join.  It's so much fun. 

Currently, we are in the middle of a few exchanges.  Let's see. . .there is the Sock it to me Santa exchange, the Christmas card exchange, the Ring in the New Year exchange, and the Winter Smalls exchange.  There are also other activities such as the RAK, Birthday floss club, and occastional bookmark and ornament exchanges.  Every exchange usually consists of people sending one another cross stitch supplies such as a couple skeins of floss, etc.  I try to only participate in one exchange at a time with my busy life.  I'm doing the Sock it to me Santa exchange and am looking forward to reading the reactions of the gal whose name I got this year.  She is the same gal whose name I was given last year in the 12 Days of Christmas exchange.  So much fun!!  Putting the link here is the only way I can think of to help people find it.  

                       http://groups.yahoo.com/group/i-love-cross-stitch/

I try not to have more than one project going at a time.  My current cross stitch project is the "Love One Another" sampler that was featured in my favorite cross stitch magazine. . .the May/June 1994 issue of BH&G Cross Stitch & Country Crafts.  My progress is shown above (at least the portion that would fit on my Kodak all-in-one scanner tray).  I apologize for not getting the whole thing in the scan. The screen on  my laptop is only a little over 1/2 visible so I can't see all of the features in my digital camera program to be able to instruct my camera to upload photos to my laptop.  Anyway, its completed appearance is shown in the picture of the magazine cover.  The only difference that mine will have is that instead of the stitching along the center bottom, I am considering putting the scripture reference there.  This is the first of a few projects I will be doing between now and July.  I am donating them to our church camp to raise money for the youth department.  The proceeds that come in go to such causes as missionary work (providing missionaries with vehicles, appliances, etc.), Bible quizzing, youth outreach, etc.  Everything about church is so important to me, but I would have to say that it was my teen years during which someone made the greatest impact on me.  I had wonderful youth leaders back then (they were a husband and wife team).  Today they pastor one of our churches in the state.  Such a precious couple and true examples of what it means to be a Christian.

Well, I think that's about all for today.  It will be a little while before I get used to this whole blogging thing, but I think I'm going to enjoy it.  Today I learned how to add some features to my page.  I found a picture that reflects my decorating style and personality and added follow, # of visitors, and a few other features.  I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to eventually have photo albums linked to my blog where I could store my craft photos, wish list, etc.  Right now I'm trying to figure out how to create a section for links to some of my favorite sites.  As I spend more and more time practicing I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

God bless.


1 comment:

  1. Very nice blog.Congrats on starting. Hope you have fun with it. Hugs, Chris G

    ReplyDelete